29 March 2017

powerpoint: swap presenter view and demo

When presenting on windows, switching between a powerpoint (2016) presentation and a demo is problematic.

The goal

During a presentation I am projecting the slides in extended view behind my back to the audience and have the presenter view on my laptop in front of me.
When I switch to a demo I want to duplicate my laptop screen to the projector.
I want to swap easily between both modes.

The Problem

I set up my PC in extended view (F8 on my laptop)  and start the presentation: the full slide is projected and the presenter screen is on my laptop: fine.
When I start a demo, I duplicate my screen. The demo shows up in front of me and on the extended projected view: fine
When I switch back from demo view (duplicate screen) to extended view, the powerpoint presentation does not migrate back to the extended view.

The solution (sort of)

  1. Switch back to extended view
  2. right mouse menu in powerpoint presentation>duplicate slide show: the presentation is now shown in extended view (projector) and on my screen
  3. right mouse menu in powerpoint presentation>show presenter view: the presenter view is on my laptop, the full slide is on the projector.
I reach the result I want. Only this takes three steps. Isn't there more fluent way to do such a common task?