11 August 2019

Beware: removing Google Drive shortcuts

The other day I was happy to have found a (quirky) way to make shortcuts to folders in Google Drive.
Last week I removed the shortcut, as I did not need it anymore...

Today I received a mail of a person with whom I shared a file that it had gone to my recycle bin!
Actually: removing the shortcut had removed the original folder as well!
Good thing I was notified in time and Google had not yet purged it from the recycle bin, which normally happens after a month...

This begs the question: how do you remove a shortcut in Google Drive properly (without removing the original?)

  1. Select the folder (don't go into it)
  2. Open the details tab on the right
  3. Under Location: you will see that their are two parent folders listed. Each one has an x icon next to it.
  4. Click on the x of the parent you want to remove the shortcut from
More...

No comments:

Post a Comment